/ Aug 17, 2026
/ Aug 17, 2026

Southern France wildfires force evacuation of 3,000 residents

Published on

By

Wildfires in southern France have forced the evacuation of nearly 3,000 people as firefighters battle fast-spreading blazes fuelled by extreme heat and dry weather.

 

According to Punch, citing AFP, the fires broke out in Sainte-Marie-la-Mer before spreading to Canet-en-Roussillon on Thursday, prompting emergency evacuations of tourists and residents.

Authorities said around half of those evacuated were staying in three campsites within the affected areas.

Regional official Pierre Regnault de La Mothe confirmed that two firefighters sustained minor injuries during efforts to contain the fires.

Emergency responders deployed 200 firefighters alongside four water-bombing aircraft to tackle the flames.

“We are mobilising a large network of volunteers,” the official said.

The fires come after a severe heatwave swept across France in June, lasting 11 days and pushing temperatures above 40°C in several regions.

The World Meteorological Organization recently warned that extreme heat is increasing wildfire risks while also impacting public health, agriculture, ecosystems and infrastructure.

French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said 1,200 firefighters had been mobilised since Wednesday to combat forest fires nationwide.

He warned that weather conditions remain highly unfavourable, raising concerns about further outbreaks.

Meanwhile, Météo-France has forecast another spell of elevated temperatures next week, although conditions are not expected to be as extreme as June’s heatwave.

The worsening wildfire situation has also intensified political pressure, with some French politicians criticising the government’s response to rising temperatures and climate-related emergencies.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

FCT Commissioner of Police Ahmed Sanusi inspects personnel of the newly launched Violent Crime Response Unit during its inauguration in Abuja.

Police arrest son over hacking his mother to death with a machete in Ondo

A man, Samuel Akoade, has been arrested by the Ondo State Police Command for allegedly hacking his mother, Olufunke Akoade, to death in Ore, Odigbo Local Government Area of the state.   The incident occurred around 5pm on Sunday, August 16, 2026, in the Powerline area of Ore, according to a report by PUNCH. The police said the deceased was found at her residence in a pool of blood after sustaining deep machete injuries. A machete suspected to have been used in the attack was recovered at the scene. The state Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, confirmed the arrest on Monday, saying the suspect initially fled before police operatives from the Ore Division apprehended him. “The suspected assailant, initially identified simply as Samuel, was reported to have fled the scene before the arrival of the police. However, following sustained efforts by the operatives, Samuel Akoade was subsequently arrested and taken into police custody,” Jimoh said. The victim’s remains have been deposited at a mortuary, while the suspect remains in police custody. The case has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department in Akure for further investigation. The Commissioner of Police, Felix Ohagwu, directed that the circumstances surrounding the killing be thoroughly investigated and that anyone found culpable be brought to justice.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.