/ May 18, 2026
/ May 18, 2026

News

  • All
  • Africa
  • Agriculture
  • Aviation
  • Banking
  • Business
  • Crime
  • Economy
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • fashion
  • Health
  • Home
  • International
  • lifestyle
  • Metro
  • News
  • Nigeria
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Security
  • Sport
  • sports
  • Tech
  • Technology
  • World News
Mpox not as deadly as COVID-19, says WHO

August 20, 2024

The mpox outbreak is not another Covid-19, the World Health Organisation said Tuesday, because much is already known about the virus and the means to control it. While more research...

Trending

APC party flag displayed during a political gathering amid controversy over aspirant disqualifications ahead of the 2027 elections.

One dead, several injured in Lagos APC primary clash

A supporter was shot dead during the All Progressives Congress  (APC) House of Representatives primary election in Lagos after violence broke out among rival party supporters in the Ikotun area. According to Punch Newspapers, the incident happened on Saturday at a primary school in Ile-Iwe, Egbe, where the party was conducting its primary election for aspirants seeking seats in the House of Representatives. Witnesses said the exercise had been peaceful before an argument started among supporters of different aspirants. The disagreement quickly escalated into chaos, with gunshots heard as people scrambled for safety. A resident told Punch that one man was struck by a bullet during the unrest, while several others sustained injuries. The victim was reportedly rushed away from the venue but died before reaching hospital. Another witness said the sound of gunfire triggered panic, forcing delegates and supporters to jump fences and hide in nearby homes as the situation worsened. A police source told Punch that additional security operatives were deployed to the venue after officers at the scene requested reinforcement. The Divisional Police Officer and Area Commander later restored calm, though no official arrest had been confirmed at the time of reporting. Efforts by Punch to reach Abimbola Adebisi, spokesperson for the Nigeria Police Force in Lagos State, were unsuccessful, while party officials had not issued any official statement as of press time. The shooting adds to concerns over recurring electoral violence in Nigeria, especially during party primaries and rerun elections, where clashes among political supporters often result in deaths, injuries and destruction of property.
Map of Mali as reports emerge of drone strikes killing civilians in central village wedding gathering

Mali drone strikes kill 10 civilians at traditional wedding gathering

At least 10 civilians were killed in central Mali after military drone strikes hit villagers preparing for a traditional mass wedding, according to reports by AFP published via Channels Television. The attack happened in the Tene locality in the San region on Sunday, turning what residents described as a celebration into mourning. Local sources told AFP that those killed were among villagers making final preparations for the community wedding event. A resident, speaking anonymously to AFP, said 10 young people died in the strike, adding that the village had been expecting a joyful occasion before the tragedy unfolded. Security sources cited by AFP said the military targeted a procession of motorbikes travelling in formation, which may have drawn the attention of surveillance drones. A local elected official also confirmed the death toll, saying the strike hit shortly before the wedding ceremony. The incident comes as Mali’s military government faces growing instability after a wave of coordinated attacks in late April by jihadist groups linked to al-Qaeda and separatist forces. The offensive targeted key northern towns and reportedly killed the country’s defence minister. The violence has intensified around northern regions including Kidal, where separatist groups from the Azawad Liberation Front and allied militants have seized control of several towns. The capital, Bamako, has also reportedly been affected by a blockade. Mali has faced prolonged insecurity since 2012, with armed groups linked to al-Qaeda, the Islamic State, separatist factions and criminal networks fuelling conflict across large parts of the country.
Atiku slams FG's response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

Atiku slams FG’s response to South Africa xenophobic attacks

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has criticised the federal government’s response to renewed anti-immigrant tensions in South Africa. At least two Nigerians have been killed since anti-foreigner tensions intensified in South Africa last month. In a statement issued on Sunday by Phrank Shaibu, his senior special assistant on public communication, Atiku said it was embarrassing that Nigeria appeared to have been “shamed into action” while smaller African countries moved swiftly to protect their citizens. The former vice president said the government of Ghana had demonstrated urgency by approving the evacuation of more than 300 distressed citizens following the latest wave of xenophobic threats. He said the Nigerian government had been hesitant and reactive despite the country’s diplomatic stature on the continent. “It is deeply troubling that Nigeria, a country that prides itself as the leader of the Black world and the giant of Africa, once again found itself reacting instead of leading in a moment of continental crisis,” the statement reads. “When the first signs of danger emerged, smaller African nations acted with clarity, compassion, and urgency. “Ghana moved decisively. Others issued strong advisories and activated protective mechanisms for their nationals. “But Nigeria, whose citizens have historically borne the brunt of xenophobic violence in South Africa, moved with the lethargy that has become the defining trademark of this administration.” Atiku said the issue was not whether the federal government eventually responded, but whether the response reflected urgency and leadership. “Yes, the government has now spoken. Yes, repatriation talks have been mentioned,” he said. “But the critical question remains: why did it take external pressure and the decisive action of others before Nigeria found its voice? This is not about whether the government eventually responded. “It is about whether that response reflected the urgency, seriousness, and leadership expected of a responsible government. By every objective standard, it did not.” The former vice president said Nigerians in South Africa had endured repeated cycles of intimidation, harassment, and xenophobic hostility for years. “Businesses have been destroyed. Lives have been endangered. Families have lived in fear,” he said. “Yet successive Nigerian responses have followed the same tired script — summon diplomats, issue cautious statements, and retreat into bureaucratic inertia until the next crisis erupts.” Atiku said a government’s primary responsibility is the protection of its citizens. “A government that waits until other nations have taken the lead before acting sends a dangerous signal: that the lives of its citizens are negotiable,” he said. “It is frankly humiliating that Ghana, with far fewer diplomatic resources and citizens abroad, projected stronger leadership and clearer compassion than Nigeria in this moment.” He urged the federal government to issue a strong travel advisory, activate evacuation arrangements for willing Nigerians, and intensify diplomatic engagement with South African authorities. Atiku also called on the African Union to establish a lasting continental framework against xenophobic violence. “Africa cannot continue to preach unity while tolerating periodic persecution of fellow Africans,” he said. “And Nigeria cannot continue to posture as a continental leader while behaving like a reluctant observer.” The former vice president asked the ministry of foreign affairs to demonstrate urgency and competence in handling the situation. Meanwhile, over 130 Nigerians in South Africa have voluntarily registered for repatriation following attacks targeting foreign nationals in the country.
NCDC headquarters as Nigeria confirms no Ebola case and strengthens disease surveillance measures following DR Congo outbreak.

NCDC says no Ebola case in Nigeria as surveillance tightens

Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has assured Nigerians that there is currently no confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease in the country, while activating emergency surveillance measures amid fresh outbreaks in Central and East Africa. In a public health advisory issued on Sunday, the agency said the country remains free of Ebola, despite rising concerns over confirmed cases in Uganda and the expanding outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo. According to the advisory cited by Channels Television, NCDC Director-General Jide Idris said the agency had stepped up surveillance at entry points and across the health system. He said Nigeria was working with the Port Health Service under the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to monitor the situation and strengthen preparedness against any possible importation of the disease. The agency urged citizens not to spread false information and advised strict adherence to preventive measures, including regular handwashing and avoiding contact with bodily fluids of sick individuals. Health workers across the country were also asked to maintain a high level of alert for patients showing symptoms associated with Ebola, especially those with recent travel history to affected countries. The reassurance came after the World Health Organization declared the current outbreak in DR Congo a public health emergency of international concern. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced the decision following confirmation that the virus had spread to Goma, a major eastern city near the Rwandan border. Authorities in DR Congo said the confirmed case in Goma involved the wife of a man who died from Ebola in Bunia. She reportedly travelled to Goma while already infected. The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention reported that at least 88 people have died, while 336 suspected cases have been recorded in the latest outbreak. Channels Television reported that experts remain concerned because there is currently no approved vaccine for the strain responsible for the latest outbreak.

Must Read

APC party flag displayed during a political gathering amid controversy over aspirant disqualifications ahead of the 2027 elections.

One dead, several injured in Lagos APC primary clash

A supporter was shot dead during the All Progressives Congress  (APC) House of Representatives primary election in Lagos after violence broke out among rival party supporters in the Ikotun area. According to Punch Newspapers, the incident happened on Saturday at a primary school in Ile-Iwe, Egbe, where the party was conducting its primary election for aspirants seeking seats in the House of Representatives. Witnesses said the exercise had been peaceful before an argument started among supporters of different aspirants. The disagreement quickly escalated into chaos, with gunshots heard as people scrambled for safety. A resident told Punch that one man was struck by a bullet during the unrest, while several others sustained injuries. The victim was reportedly rushed away from the venue but died before reaching hospital. Another witness said the sound of gunfire triggered panic, forcing delegates and supporters to jump fences and hide in nearby homes as the situation worsened. A police source told Punch that additional security operatives were deployed to the venue after officers at the scene requested reinforcement. The Divisional Police Officer and Area Commander later restored calm, though no official arrest had been confirmed at the time of reporting. Efforts by Punch to reach Abimbola Adebisi, spokesperson for the Nigeria Police Force in Lagos State, were unsuccessful, while party officials had not issued any official statement as of press time. The shooting adds to concerns over recurring electoral violence in Nigeria, especially during party primaries and rerun elections, where clashes among political supporters often result in deaths, injuries and destruction of property.
Read more
APC party flag displayed during a political gathering amid controversy over aspirant disqualifications ahead of the 2027 elections.

One dead, several injured in Lagos APC primary clash

A supporter was shot dead during the All Progressives Congress  (APC) House of Representatives primary election in Lagos after violence broke out among rival party supporters in the Ikotun area. According to Punch Newspapers, the incident happened on Saturday at a primary school in Ile-Iwe, Egbe, where the party was conducting its primary election for aspirants seeking seats in the House of Representatives. Witnesses said the exercise had been peaceful before an argument started among supporters of different aspirants. The disagreement quickly escalated into chaos, with gunshots heard as people scrambled for safety. A resident told Punch that one man was struck by a bullet during the unrest, while several others sustained injuries. The victim was reportedly rushed away from the venue but died before reaching hospital. Another witness said the sound of gunfire triggered panic, forcing delegates and supporters to jump fences and hide in nearby homes as the situation worsened. A police source told Punch that additional security operatives were deployed to the venue after officers at the scene requested reinforcement. The Divisional Police Officer and Area Commander later restored calm, though no official arrest had been confirmed at the time of reporting. Efforts by Punch to reach Abimbola Adebisi, spokesperson for the Nigeria Police Force in Lagos State, were unsuccessful, while party officials had not issued any official statement as of press time. The shooting adds to concerns over recurring electoral violence in Nigeria, especially during party primaries and rerun elections, where clashes among political supporters often result in deaths, injuries and destruction of property.
Map of Mali as reports emerge of drone strikes killing civilians in central village wedding gathering

Mali drone strikes kill 10 civilians at traditional wedding gathering

At least 10 civilians were killed in central Mali after military drone strikes hit villagers preparing for a traditional mass wedding, according to reports by AFP published via Channels Television. The attack happened in the Tene locality in the San region on Sunday, turning what residents described as a celebration into mourning. Local sources told AFP that those killed were among villagers making final preparations for the community wedding event. A resident, speaking anonymously to AFP, said 10 young people died in the strike, adding that the village had been expecting a joyful occasion before the tragedy unfolded. Security sources cited by AFP said the military targeted a procession of motorbikes travelling in formation, which may have drawn the attention of surveillance drones. A local elected official also confirmed the death toll, saying the strike hit shortly before the wedding ceremony. The incident comes as Mali’s military government faces growing instability after a wave of coordinated attacks in late April by jihadist groups linked to al-Qaeda and separatist forces. The offensive targeted key northern towns and reportedly killed the country’s defence minister. The violence has intensified around northern regions including Kidal, where separatist groups from the Azawad Liberation Front and allied militants have seized control of several towns. The capital, Bamako, has also reportedly been affected by a blockade. Mali has faced prolonged insecurity since 2012, with armed groups linked to al-Qaeda, the Islamic State, separatist factions and criminal networks fuelling conflict across large parts of the country.

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.