/ May 20, 2026
/ May 20, 2026

Goodluck Jonathan set for 2027 race, PDP insider claims

Published on

By

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party has claimed that former Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan has already obtained a presidential nomination form ahead of the 2027 general election.

The claim was made by Umar Sani, a former presidential aide and senior special assistant on media and publicity to ex-Vice President Namadi Sambo, during an interview on Trust TV on Tuesday.

According to a report by Punch Newspapers, Sani said Jonathan’s political actions suggest he is seriously considering a return to active politics nearly 12 years after leaving office.

“The issue is not about whether we will extract commitment from him. What is most important in politics is action,” Sani said.

“One of which is the procurement of the nomination form. He has procured the nomination form. In fact, he is about to come and submit the forms publicly.”

Jonathan has yet to officially declare his intention to contest the 2027 presidential election or confirm the political platform he may use.

Sani linked the former president’s cautious approach to internal crises within the PDP, dismissing suggestions that party members were merely using Jonathan’s popularity for political relevance.

He also expressed confidence that the legal challenge against Jonathan’s eligibility to contest again would fail in court.

“We are very confident that the matter will be thrown out because you cannot relitigate something that has already been decided upon,” Sani stated.

According to him, only the Supreme Court could overturn earlier decisions on Jonathan’s eligibility, adding that the matter before Justice Peter Lifu is expected to be dismissed when it comes up on May 26.

Sani further argued that many Nigerians remain nostalgic about Jonathan’s administration, claiming public perception of the PDP had changed since the party lost power in 2015.

Jonathan served as Nigeria’s president from 2010 to 2015 before losing his re-election bid to former president Muhammadu Buhari.

Since leaving office, Jonathan has largely focused on diplomatic and mediation roles across Africa while staying away from frontline partisan politics.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.