/ May 21, 2026
/ May 21, 2026

BREAKING: Soludo closes Onitsha market for 7 days over sit-at-home defiance

Published on

By

Anambra Governor Soludo has ordered the Onitsha market closure for one week following traders’ defiance of the government’s anti-sit-at-home directive

The governor gave the directive on Monday during an on-site visit to the market, along with some of his aides and other government officials.

Soludo warned that the closure could be extended if traders fail to comply with the directive, adding that security agencies have sealed the market to enforce the order.

The governor described the development as the latest—and perhaps most drastic—salvo in a protracted struggle over control of economic life in the South-East on Monday.

Soludo said that despite repeated assurances of enhanced security and appeals to reclaim public spaces, many traders at the iconic market once again chose to keep their stalls locked.

According to him, their absence amounted to a quiet rebellion that nonetheless spoke volumes about the lingering climate of fear.

Soludo said, “The government cannot stand by while a few individuals willfully undermine public safety and disregard official directives meant to restore normalcy. This is plain economic sabotage.

“We are not going to allow this. The closure is a protective measure for law-abiding citizens.”

He, however, issued a stern warning that if the market fails to reopen after the one-week shutdown, it will be sealed for one month.

“You either decide that you are going to trade here or you go elsewhere. I am very serious about this,” the governor added.

The scene at the market on Monday was marked by tense enforcement, as a joint task force comprising police, army, and other security agencies was seen securing the perimeter.

As the gates remain locked this week, the standoff in Onitsha highlights the broader struggle to abolish the Monday sit-at-home.

When the market is scheduled to reopen next Monday, attention will be on the traders—whether they will return to their stalls following the state’s show of force, or whether empty aisles will deliver a different verdict.

The outcome may determine not just the fate of the market, but the rhythm of economic life in Anambra State on Mondays.

The state government had earlier directed traders and businesses to continue normal activities on Mondays as part of efforts to restore economic stability and end disruptions caused by recurring sit-at-home observances.

Meanwhile, on Saturday the state government would begin pro-rata salary payments for workers across the state as part of efforts to end the Monday sit-at-home.

The state Commissioner for Information, Law Mefor, disclosed this to journalists in Awka, noting that effective February 2026, civil servants’ salaries would be paid according to attendance on Mondays.

Mefor said the decision was reached during the end-of-tenure retreat of the Anambra State Executive Council held in Awka, which reviewed the administration’s activities over its concluding four-year tenure and outlined priorities for the new term beginning on March 17, 2026.

You May Like

7 thoughts on “BREAKING: Soludo closes Onitsha market for 7 days over sit-at-home defiance

  1. Amazing blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers? I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any ideas? Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.