/ May 20, 2026
/ May 20, 2026

Ebola cases surge in Congo as death toll hits 131

Published on

By

The death toll from the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has risen to 131, with authorities also recording 513 suspected cases across affected communities.

 

According to a report by TheCable, Congo’s health minister, Samuel Roger Kamba, disclosed the figures during an update on Monday on the spread of the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus in Ituri province.

Kamba said not all the reported deaths had been confirmed as Ebola-related, noting that investigations were ongoing to establish the exact cause of death in several cases.

He revealed that six locations, including Mongbwalu and Rwampara, had been officially classified as outbreak zones. Bunia and Nyankunde in Ituri province, alongside Butembo-Katwa and Goma in North Kivu province, have also recorded infections.

The health minister blamed the delayed response on local misconceptions about the disease.

“The alert was delayed in the community because there was a belief that it was a mystical disease, and this caused the disease to spread,” he said.

In neighbouring Uganda, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed two Ebola cases and one death in Kampala, raising fears of wider regional transmission.

The Congolese ministry of health formally declared the outbreak on May 15, making it the country’s 17th Ebola outbreak since 1976.

Authorities said genomic sequencing identified the virus as the Bundibugyo variant, a strain different from those recorded in previous outbreaks in 2007 and 2012. Researchers at the National Institute of Biomedical Research said the strain originated from an animal reservoir.

Health officials also warned that there is currently no approved vaccine or targeted treatment for the Bundibugyo variant.

The World Health Organization recently declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, while Africa CDC announced its first continental public health emergency for Ebola and pledged $2 million to support response efforts.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention said it is closely monitoring developments in both DR Congo and Uganda.

You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

Must Read

Minister of Education Tunji Alausa announces payment of outstanding BEA scholarship allowances to Nigerian students abroad.

FG begins N4bn payment of outstanding BEA scholars’ allowances

The federal government has commenced the payment of N4 billion in outstanding allowances owed to beneficiaries of the Bilateral Education Agreement, BEA, scholarship programme studying abroad.   According to TheCable, the ministry of education confirmed that the Central Bank of Nigeria has remitted the approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for immediate disbursement to eligible scholars. In a statement issued on Wednesday by Boriowo Folasade, director of press and public relations, the ministry said the payment represents 50 per cent of the approved outstanding obligations for 2025. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said efforts are ongoing to clear the remaining balance. “The funds have already reached embassy accounts, and affected missions are expected to begin immediate payments to beneficiaries,” the statement said. The ministry advised affected students to monitor their accounts as payments begin to reflect. The federal government said the development reflects the commitment of President Bola Tinubu to the welfare and academic success of Nigerian students studying overseas. The BEA scholarship programme was established through agreements with countries including China, Russia, Algeria, Hungary, Morocco, Egypt and Serbia. Under the arrangement, host countries provide tuition and accommodation, while Nigeria pays allowances covering health insurance, medicals, books, transport and feeding. Last year, the federal government discontinued the programme for new applicants following allegations of fraud and concerns that the scheme had deviated from its original purpose. TheCable had earlier reported that delays in stipend payments left several Nigerian scholars stranded abroad, with some reportedly facing eviction and financial hardship. The ministry reiterated its commitment to meeting obligations to Nigerian scholars and sustaining policies aimed at improving education and human capital development.
Read more

Editor's Pick

Trending News

Newsletter

Enter your email address and receive notifications of news by email.

You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.

© 2026 GongNews. All Rights Reserved.